I’m going to be honest with you. I started this blog entry last year when I was going to Santa Fe with my mother, and I totally forgot about it until recently. Oops! At any rate, I was going on a trip to a memorial service for my mom’s cousin, and I had the little problem of needing a slip but not having one that was wearable. I also needed more protection for my Kindle Fire, so I wound up doing a few sewing projects before my trip.
First, the slip. I found the elastic in the only slip that fit me was completely shot. As I didn’t mind losing an inch or two of length and I was in a hurry, I simply cut off the old elastic.
As I’ve mentioned, I was in a hurry, so I really didn’t want to monkey around with stringing the elastic through a channel I’d already sewn, so I tried a different technique: I cut the elastic and sewed the ends together, then pinned it into the channel before sewing.
Sewing the channel was a little tricky since I didn’t want to get the elastic with my seams, but it turned out okay. It doesn’t look pretty, but it’s functional.
My other project was a case for my Kindle Fire. I took more time with this, but as I was in a hurry, I didn’t think through how much extra fabric I really needed on the edges. It is really tight, and a couple of the seams are not as pretty as I’d like, but overall, I’m happy with it.
I wanted the Kindle to have both hard and soft protection, so I cut two pieces of cardboard about the same size as the Fire and two pieces of batting that were slightly larger than the Fire.
And this is as far as I got in this blog entry when I could actually remember what I actually did. I sewed the cardboard and batting between layers of fabric (and I love the fabric). I do recall, that I should have given myself a bit more room, as it was hard to sew the final edges together to house the KF. I used velcro to close the case, but I should not have planned on the self sticking velcro. I wound up having to stitch it down in places, and that stuff is heck on a needle. Also, I added a decorative button to look like the actual closure, but that was kind of loose. If I’d had more time, I might have taken another stab at the whole thing, but it still served it’s purpose for the length of my trip. Here’s the final product: