This year is the 40th birthday for many people I know, including myself and one of my best friends, who was the Maid of Honor at my wedding. She and I both LOVE the ocean/sea, and I found this cute aquamarine sea turtle necklace on line for a great price, but how to package it?
I was in the process of cleaning/organizing my craft room when I found the solution: a sea-themed trinket box I had started making for her several years ago but was never happy with. Time to give it another try I decided. Unfortunately, I can’t give you pictures of all of the steps as I never took pictures when I initially worked on it. I had painted it a color called “Caribbean,” which was perfect. However, there is a shadow box area that I could never get right, so that was where I began my second attempt.
On my first attempt to paint the insert for the shadow box, I covered with with “Coarse Pumice Gel” to give it a sandy texture. I then painted over it with paint that was the color of sand, but the color was too consistent and did not look right. On top of that, the shell I had chosen kept blending into the background. That was when I gave up on my initial attempt.
When I began this second attempt to make this box the pretty item I imagined in my head, I noticed that the insert for the shadow box had expanded and no longer fit. So, first I had to sand down two edges to make it fit again. To fix the color, I got out several different “sandy” colors and a sponge, and gently sponge painted in several layers, being sure not to get too much of any color in any area. Once I felt like the color was right, I got several other shells out and found the one that looked best.
After several years in storage, the glass needed a good cleaning, so I cleaned that up.
I wanted it to have a velvet lining, and I found a pair of velveteen black pants no longer fit—perfect! I cut down the fabric to insert in the box. I must not have measured as well as I had thought, though, because the edges stuck up over the lip. I also noticed that the fabric was prone to fraying, so I put some Fray Check around the upper edges and let that dry. Then, with the help of some small, sharp scissors and a good Exacto knife, I was able to trim the edges nicely.
By this time, I noticed that I had gotten a few nicks in the paint, so I made a few touch-ups. When the paint was dry, I checked how the necklace looked in the box. The fabric wasn’t cushy enough. So, I sewed a small pillow to put in the bottom for the necklace to rest on. I also decided that the paint was too matte to represent the sea. I debated between gloss varnish and glitter Mod Podge. I decided the glitter was a little too much and went with the gloss. Here is what I finally wound up with:
When I gave the present to my friend, she loved it. I’m glad I finally was able to finish this project for her!